At the beginning of the 1920s, Berlin had earned a reputation as “electropolis”. After the Allgemeine Elektricitäts-Gesellschaft (AEG) had established its business there, the Rathenau Halls and Oberschoeneweide turned into one of the largest locations for electrical engineering in the world.

2007

Acquisition of the premises by a group of several European investors

1996

Shutting down of the AEG transformer company

1995

The other factory buildings are being listed

1992

Reacquisition of the transformer company by AEG and foundation of AEG TRO Transformatoren- und Schaltgeräte GmbH, Berlin

1990

Foundation of TRO Transformatoren- und Schaltgeräte GmbH

1977

The original assembly hall of the premises, today’s hall 33, is being designated a heritage site

from 1951

Continuation of transformer and high-voltage switch production under the name VEB Transformatorenwerk Oberschoeneweide “Karl Liebknecht” (VEB TRO)

1947

Restitution of the plant, which was placed under German trusteeship

1946

Confiscation of the plant by the Soviet Union and resumption of production

1945

Beginning of the repair work

1944/45

Heavy air strikes destroy parts of the transformer company

1921-1940

Extension of the AEG transformer company

1921

Acquisition of the premises of today’s Rathenau Halls by AEG

1898

Opening of the German Niles Tool Works company on the premises of today’s Rathenau Halls

1897

Opening of the cable plant Kabelwerk Oberspree (KWO) in close proximity to today’s Rathenau Halls